+44 (0)1287 770397



Here you will find a selection of questions that we get asked from time to time:

I am thinking of working towards an inspection and testing qualification. Do I need to work towards a C&G 2391 qualification?

The answer to this is no! The C&G2391 qualification is now obsolete and has been replaced by two qualifications. EAL and City & Guilds now provide these qualifications which are;

– Initial verification of Electrical Installations

– Periodic Inspection of Electrical Installations


Does legislation (the law) require me to hold an inspection & testing qualification to be able to inspect/test Electrical Installations?

The short answer to this is no! The law which is most appropriate here is Regulation 16 of the Electricity at work regulations 1989. Regulation 16 deals with Competence of anyone working with Electricity and this simply requires a person to be ‘Competent’. The issue here however is how do you prove Competence? Qualifications are the easiest way to prove your competence, but not the only way. For example, if you are a member of a Competent person scheme, then you will be regularly observed for your competence.


Why do I have to keep ‘refreshing’ my CompEx course every 5 years?

This is a very common question the delivery team at CTTC(UK) are often asked. There are two main reasons;

1. IEC 60079-14 specifically states requirements of competence, which must be addressed, as this a very important standard for all personnel to follow within hazardous area installation.

2. Over time, working practices and standards change. In recent years, the biggest advent of change has been with the use of EPL’s and Categories of hazardous area equipment. Often we will find that candidates are not aware of changes, but are still required to comply with standards at their individual work sites…thus why regular updating of courses is required.


I have been asked to carry-out a rewire of a domestic installation and I will need to isolate the supply coming into the property, but I have no double-pole isolator to do this, or another suitable device to isolate the supply! How do I isolate the supply safely without removing the main cut-out fuse?

This question is very common (especially for anyone working in domestic installations). First and foremost, the main cut-out fuse must never be removed by you from the cut-out of the main supply into the property! The risks of an arc blast are greatly increased as the energy which can be discharged through an arc blast is tremendous. Click on the link to see the power of an arc blast.  The only exception to pulling the main cut-out fuse should be in an emergency situation, such as if someone is receiving an electric shock and there is no other means of isolating the supply.

The correct action will be to contact your REC (Regional Electricity Company) to arrange the safe isolation/de-isolation, or most REC’s provide training so that you can be licensed and authorised to pull the fuse on what is technically their electrical system. You’ll be surprised how efficient this will make your rewires.

We cannot stress this enough, never put your lives in danger for the sake of a fuse. You might just end up being that accident statistic you hear about from major incidents.


I am thinking about working offshore as an electrical or instrument technician. What qualifications will I need for this?

Very commonly, offshore operators will require you to hold the following qualifications;



– COMPEX (specifically EX01 – EX04)

BOSIET and MIST are common for all operatives working offshore in UK waters. CompEx is a very common requirement for any electrical or instrument disciplines. CTTC(UK) can assist you with CompEx training.

Though every effort is made to provide accurate information, CT Training and Consultancy (UK) Ltd cannot be held responsible for any inaccuracies

of information and cannot accept liability for the application of any such information.